In my recent conversation with Andrea Coombes of Wall Street Journal’s MarketWatch, we discussed the common pitfalls most job seekers (boomer-age and otherwise) make in using LinkedIn.
Of course, we covered tips on including a professional photo, strengthening your LinkedIn Summary, and joining the right Groups.
However, the largest mistake I see most job seekers make is simply waiting.
Why? Because most employers have become reluctant to contact candidates who seem to have an invisible or barely-there digital identity.
By updating your Profile immediately, you’ll reap ROI from more traffic on LinkedIn. You might even be contacted without having to send a resume first, simply because so many recruiters use it as a free resume database.
Another benefit to putting more information on LinkedIn is that you won’t have to post your resume to job search databases. This was once a common job search task for many mid-career professionals, who used sites such as Monster to advertise their credentials.
Right now, you can openly display your work experience, education, and career path to anyone, with these immediate advantages:
- Hiring managers can easily determine whether you fit their ideal-candidate parameters
- Co-workers or past bosses can be reminded of your achievements and qualifications (and may be more likely to recommend you)
- Customers researching your company can decide if they’d like to do business with you or your employer
- Employers will see you as a more visible, professionally engaged candidate who knows how to use social media
None of this will happen, however, unless you start marketing your specific skills in LinkedIn… without waiting for the perfect opportunity.
Need a competitive edge in your job search? As an award-winning executive resume writer, I create branded, powerful resumes and LinkedIn Profiles that position you as the #1 candidate.
My clients win interviews at Fortune 500 firms including Citibank, Google, Disney, and Pfizer, plus niche companies, start-ups, and emerging industry leaders.
Get in touch with me to experience the outstanding results I can bring to your transition.
– Laura Smith-Proulx, CCMC, CPRW, CPBA, TCCS, COPNS, CIC